July 15, 2010

Top Female Rockers!


Out of the blue, I decided to make a list of the top female rockers and singers in my biased honest opinion. The uneven ratio of male rock singers to female rock singers really depresses me sometimes. I remember in middle school there were all these huge rock bands like Dashboard Confessional, Taking Back Sunday, Linkin Park, Hawthorne Heights, Simple Plan, and etc. And how many female vocalists were popular?

Close to zilch.

So I’m quite happy nowadays there is more diversity in the rock music scene with the growing amount of rock female singers. The newest prevalent female singer being only 16 years olds, Taylor Momsen. Some people really hate her for her a multitude of reasons: her character Jenny in Gossip Girl was abhorred, her fashion choices are fugly, or because her make up is too heavy.  I, for one could really care less as long as The Pretty Reckless keep cranking out awesome songs for me to repeat play over and over again!

Then there is Cassadee Pope of Hey Monday, Juliet Simms of Automatic Loveletter, Sierra Kusterbeck of VersaEmerge, Emily Haines of indie rock band, Metric and last but not least Hayley Williams of Paramore. There are probably a lot more but these are just off the top of my head and are recent (I would never forget Joan Jett!). I don’t want to go through the hundreds of artists on my iTunes.

Anyhow, I sincerely hope this trend continues to increase!
It’s interesting to see more guys doing pop music and girls doing rock music as the opposite is usually more conventional.

No comments:

Post a Comment