September 14, 2010

My thoughts on the VMAs?

Anyone care to hear them? No one? Mmkay. I'll write about it all the same. :)

First of all I'd like to say that I'm somewhat disappointed. What was up with the line up and the nominations? Why wasn't Miley Cyrus's Can't Be Tamed nominated for anything? Agreeably Miley may not be the best artist in the pop world but damn that was a cool music video.  And why were there random unintroduced artists singing at times like Robyn, and Travie McCoy for example.

As for the performances: NO. Usher performed songs that were no longer relevant anymore. I mean earlier in the year OMG would have made me ecstatic but now, not so much... Justin Bieber's performances were eh. Linkin Park's performance & new song were unmemorable. Airplanes is way overplayed but it was good to see Hayley & B.O.B actually performing together. I would have perfered more 'The Only Exception', however.

I don't like Florence & the Machines very much, but I do admit that was a great performance! Easily a highlight of the night for many people.

And ah... time to address the part of the show people are still talking about: Taylor Swift's performance. I'm a Taylor Swift fan but I will admit that was a huge cringefest. I swear I probably closed my eyes through half of it. The whole time I was listening to her sing I was thinking to myself, "GIRL WHY. WHY WHY WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF", but unlike crazy Kanye stans it didn't evoke a feeling of hate from me. I felt that the song was sincere and it was trying to demonstrate that she forgives him and that all people make mistakes, however some people seem to think she was being 'self-involved / self righteous' which I don't quite understand. It was inappropriate time to sing the song, a year later woop-de-doo but I don't believe she wrote it or sang it with malicious sentiments. Taylor doesn't seem like that kind of person to me. Overall I thought the song was a great response to Kanye's long apologetic and somewhat depressing tweets. I get a feeling from Kanye sometimes that he loathes himself for who he is, egotistical, etc so perhaps the song will do him some good?

I loved Kanye's performance of Runaway also. The song's lyrics are a little bit vulgar/tacky which make a perfect compliment to the simple piano keys in Runaway. I can't wait to get my hands on the studio version of this song as well as You're Still An Innocent.

Chelsea Handler's hosting was pretty mediocre & cheap to me too.

Whoever organizes the VMA's needs to be fired. >.>

No comments:

Post a Comment